More than 10,000 known ant species occur around the world. Ants are common insects that our Buffalo based exterminators often deal with, but they have some unique capabilities. They look much like termites, and the two are often confused, especially by nervous homeowners.
However, ants have a narrow “waist” between the abdomen and thorax, which termites do not. Ants also have large heads, elbowed antennae, and powerful jaws. These insects belong to the order Hymenoptera, which includes wasps and bees. Here are some of the most common species in Western New York that the ant exterminators at Pathfinder Buffalo commonly deal with.
- Carpenter ants are among the largest ants in the United States, ranging from 3.4 to 13 mm long.
- The most common color is black, but some species have reddish or yellowish coloration. The color also varies among species, ranging from jet-black to dark brown, red, black, yellow, orange, yellowish tan, or light brown. Some ants exhibit both red and black coloration.
- Workers have large mandibles
- Pavement ants are light brown to black with appendages lighter than the rest of the body.
- They are about 2.5 to 3 mm long, with parallel lines on the head and thorax.
- They have a 12-segmented antennae with a three-segmented club.
- Odorous house ants, sometimes called odorous ants, are small, measuring 2.4 to 3.3 mm in length.
- They have dark brown or black bodies with one node on their petiole, which is hidden by their abdomens.
- Odorous house ants have an unevenly shaped thorax when viewed from the side.
- are small, measuring 2.4 to 3.3 mm in length.
- When viewed from above, the abdomen is heart-shaped
- Many emit an unpleasant odor when disturbed.
For treatment there are several different ways we can help control and solve your ant problems.
- Glue traps
- Seal up cracks and opening
- Habitat modification
The expert exterminators at Pathfinder Pest in Buffalo specialize in ant control and prevention. Our technicians will customize a solution that will work to control the ants utilizing the best possible approach. Our technicians have been trained to identify the wide variety of ant species and how best to treat for them.